Friday, May 04, 2012

Almond Flounder (ahem, Tilapia) Meuniere

 
 This week's French Friday recipe was Almond Flounder Meuniere, which Dorie described as an adaptation she made from the classic sole meuniere because flounder is easier for her to find at the market. I didn't feel too bad then with the decision I made when faced with a choice of sad-looking, pre-frozen, and badly thawed flounder versus plump, fresh tilapia at the fish counter today. Above is a photo of the finished product, served with a side of Spanish rice and green beans.
See what I mean by plump and fresh? 
 
The almond-flour coating was a breeze to make. I threw all the ingredients into my immersion blender mini food processor attachment and was good to go with a few whirs. Brushing on the egg with a brush instead of dragging the fish through a container filled with egg saved both extra eggs and cleanup.
We chose a deep-sided saute pan, which was helpful in reducing grease spatter
The butter-browning process is like toasting nuts. It can go from not quite ready to BURNED in the blink of an eye, so make sure to keep that eye on that butter! I got distracted and forgot, but thank goodness the hubs was there to remind me, because it looked like this when I looked again:
You can see the browned milk solids well in the top of the photo
Fish is cooked nut-side-down first, then flipped. Had to add another tablespoon of butter on Side 2 to keep the pan from drying out.
Et voila! Below is an action shot of the hubs dropping some green beans inelegantly onto the plate. The beans were parboiled and then finished in the same butter that the fish cooked in. It worked out perfectly, creating a nice brown sear on the beans and did not require getting yet another pot dirty. We had begun the evening debating whether we were too tired to cook, or too tired to walk to a restaurant. The humid weather finally decided us in favor of staying home, and boy, are we glad we did. In the time it would have taken us to walk the ten blocks to a restaurant, we had a restaurant-quality meal at our own table.



3 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Very nice. This was such an easy dish to prepare that it almost seemed like cheating :-)

MooCow said...

I know! The navarin was, too. We'll see how next week goes!

Betsy said...

I completely agree that this is restaurant-quality meal you can make at home. I love when Dorie's recipes turn out that way. (I love the excellent home-cooking ones too, but I'm more impressed with myself when it reminds me of restaurant fare.)